Welcome to Ekalaka Public Schools
About Our District
The town of Ekalaka, Montana has an elementary school district (K-8) and a secondary school district (9-12) delivering educational services to the community. Ekalaka, the county seat of Carter County, is a strong agricultural community of under 400 located in southeastern Montana. The county consists of 3,312 square miles. Farming and ranching is the economic base for the area. The first class graduated from Carter County High School in 1919. Ekalaka also boasts ownership to the first museum in the state of Montana. The Ekalaka schools have a long-standing history of delivering a quality education to the students that they serve. Ekalaka Elementary School has about 77 students enrolled in grades K-8 and the High School has 34 students enrolled 9-12. Ekalaka Public Schools employs 18 full-time equivalent teachers for the school year. Carter County is classified as a Class C school district for participation in the Montana High School Association activities program.
District/Board Policy Philosophy
Ekalaka Public Schools exists to provide a positive learning environment for students to achieve their highest level of education and self-esteem by maximizing their personal, academic, social and emotional potential. To bring out the full potential or all students, depending on their needs, so they possess the capability to function in the competitive world.
Core Values of the Ekalaka Public Schools:
* Communication: The district is committed to effective and honest communication through teamwork and consistency.
* Forward thinking: The district is committed to follow a path of progressive thinking in order to build a strong educational foundation for the students of our community.
* Respect, Pride and Passion: We are committed to ensuring that the students, staff, parents and community maintain a high level of respect, pride and passion for Ekalaka Public Schools.
* Safe, Positive Environment: We firmly believe a safe, positive environment is the cornerstone for students to achieve their highest level of education.
* High Standard of Educating Students: We will achieve a standard of excellence through education, leadership and serving the needs of our students.
Summary of District 5-year Goals
The Ekalaka Public Schools District has completed the correlate review of effective schools and has identified seven goals through this process for inclusion into the five year plan. The identified five year plan goals are broad statements designed to form the basis for the more specific yearly goals which are directed at a particular outcome. The seven goals are as follows:
1. The district will continue the development and transformation to a professional learning community focused on student achievement.
2. The district will continue improvement of math proficiency in the district/schools.
3. The district will continue the improvement of reading proficiency in the district/schools.
4. The district will continue the development and integration of the writing program.
5. The district will continue the development and integration of the Indian Education for All programs across all content areas and grade levels.
6. The district will continue the integration of technology into all curriculums and instruction.
7. The District will continue to utilize Smarter Balanced and MAP testing data to assist teachers in monitoring and modifying curriculum and instruction to meet the needs of all students.